This is the story of Abraham Lincoln, revealing how one American, by his own honest efforts, rose from the most humble of beginnings to the highest station of honor and worth, has inspired millions and will inspire millions more.
- The log cabin in which he was born,
- the ax with which he split the rails,
- the few books with which he got the rudiments of an education,
- the light of pine knots by which he studied,
- the flatboat on which he made the long trip to New Orleans,
- the slave mart at sight of which his sympathetic soul revolted against the institution of human slavery
Each of these trials are all fraught with intense interest as being the rude forces by which he slowly built his great character.